Tuesday, April 26, 2011

MapReduce for simpletons

Data reduction redux and map-reduce is the title of my latest post at the SANS Digital Forensics Blog. I mentioned in my previous post there on using least frequency of occurrence in string searching that there would be a follow up.

The point of the new post is to sing the praises of @strcpy over on the Twitters. He helped me out by writing a short shell script that is, in essence, map-reduce for simpletons like me. I am constantly amazed by some of the members of the info sec community who will take time to help out near total strangers.

strcpy's script wasn't just helpful, it was educational. I'd read about map-reduce before, but it never really clicked until I saw strcpy's script. The scales have fallen from my eyes and I'm now adapting his script for other kinds of tasks.

Check out the post and if you find it beneficial and you ever get to meet strcpy in person, buy him a drink or a meal and tell him thanks, I plan to do the same one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other thoughts from Lean In

My previous posts in this series have touched on the core issues that Sheryl Sandberg addresses in her book  Lean In: Women, Work, and the W...